Wednesday, June 1, 2011

my summer bookshelf.

"Oh Day of days when we can read! The reader and the book, either without the other is naught." - R. W. Emerson

I love books. This summer I look forward to / hope for a chance to read more: to slow down a bit from my normal routines of rapid school reading and instead to have time to soak in ideas and truly wrestle with them; to get caught up and swept away in a thrilling story.

I am bringing a plethora of books and I know I won't get to all of them in their entirety in my 9 weeks in the dominican (though a couple are re-reads), but I wanted to share them with you and ask:

Have you read any of these? Which ones? What did you think? (but don't give it all away just yet :))  Leave me a comment and let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or recommendations, (and maybe later we can discuss!) Let's make this a conversation.

Without further ado:


In case that the image does not come through clearly (/ and to see the full titles), the books are:
  • Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church, N.T. Wright
  • When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor... and Yourself, Corbett and Flikkert
  • Moon guide to the DR
  • Love Wins, Rob Bell
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not: the Ethics of Unrequited Love, Laura Smit
  • Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities, Miroslav Volf
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
  • Beatrice and Virgil, Yann Martel
  • The Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World, Richard Foster
  • The Illumined Heart: Capture the Vibrant Faith of the Ancient Christians, Frederica Mathewes-Greene

2 comments:

  1. I've read "Freedom of Simplicity" and "Loves Me, Loves Me Not," and I strongly recommend them. Both are gracefully written and have had a pretty profound effect on the way I view life and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma!
    I'm currently reading "When Helping Hurts."
    Just finished "Love Wins."
    Read "Freedom of Simplicity" in the last two months.
    Just downloaded "Surprised by Hope" on my kindle.

    Sounds like we have similar tastes. I'm excited to check out the other books on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete